- The Fund gets notified of the death by a family member.
- The applicant needs to complete a death application form and provide the deceased’s tax number.
- The Fund uploads the application form and documents are securely loaded onto the EPPF’s administration system.
- The member’s death lumpsum benefit is calculated and sent to SARS to confirm the tax deductible.
- Once the tax is finalised the calculated death lump sum is referred to the Fund Social workers to perform the Section 37 C of the Pension Fund’s Act dependency investigation.
- The Benefits Committee puts together a recommendation regarding the distribution of the lump sum death benefit for the Trustees to review and sign.
NB – the law allows this process to take place for about 12 months to ensure a proper investigation is done to identify beneficiaries.